Save Energy & Money
Lighting Tips, Links and Info
- 2012 New lighting product labels
- Lumens measure how much light you receive from the bulb. The more lumens, the more light you receive.
- 90% of the energy used by traditional incandescent bulbs is wasted as heat. Incandescents tend to be cheaper but have a very short life span of 750-1,000 hours.
- Compact flourescent bulbs (CFLs) are slightly more expensive, however, they are 75% more efficient and have a lifespan of 8,000-10,000 hours.
- Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) are more expensive at around $20-55 per bulb but contain no mercury and are super efficient. Their lifespan is the longest at about 25,000 hours.
- Visit LUMENSnow.org to learn more about lighting options, lumens, watts and how to choose.