Electric Safety at Home
Here are a few tips to stay safe at home:
- Never put fingers or other objects in electric outlets. Cover outlets to keep children away.
- Throw away old or frayed extension cords. They can cause a fire.
- Never crowd electric outlets.
- Install Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) safety outlets in bathrooms and kitchens. They monitor electric current and trip the circuit, cutting off electricity if there is a loss of current.
- Keep electrical appliances away from water. Water and electricity do not mix.
- Use light bulbs that are the proper wattage for the fixture. Improper wattage bulbs can cause an electrical fire.
- Turn off appliances before unplugging them. Pull the plug not the cord when unplugging appliances.
- Never use water to put out an electrical fire. Use the appropriate fire extinguisher.
- Never tamper with your electrical meter. It is illegal and unsafe.