Singing River Electric's Neighbors Helping Neighbors Energy Assistance (NHNEA) program assists those including the elderly, handicapped and others who have difficulty paying their electric bill. The program is coordinated by United Way for Jackson and George Counties and administered through Catholic Social & Community Services.
All Singing River Electric members are eligible to call the toll-free number to speak with a Catholic Social & Community Services representative at 1-855-847-0555. General information will be taken and the member will be given a list of documents required for an appointment.
How does NHNEA work? Neighbors Helping Neighbors Energy Assistance works only through the generosity of our member-customers. Donations are distributed through UWJGC and Catholic Charities.
How do I contribute? Simply check the box at the top right of your billing statement labeled "Participate in NHN." Your billing statement will be rounded up each month to the next whole dollar. The rounded up portion would be anywhere from one penny added to that
month's bill or as much as ninety-nine cents. Annual donations will
average about $6. All donations will be given to the local United Way to
be distributed one time per year to eligible SRE members who cannot pay
their electric bill.
How do I sign up for assistance? It is easy to sign up. Simply call Catholic Social and Community Services at 1-855-847-0555. General information will be taken and the member will be given a list of documents required for an appointment.
For additional information, please download the brochure above or call any SRE office to speak to a customer service representative.
Singing River Electric members may also be eligible for financial assistance from local agencies including:
- United Way for Jackson and George Counties – 228-762-7662, www.unitedwayjgc.org
- Statewide information and referral number to receive assistance on any health or human service need – 211
- Salvation Army (Jackson County residents only) – 228-762-7222
- Samaritan Ministry - 228-875-9791
- Christian Services - 601-582-5683
- Neighborhood Services in Wayne County - 601-753-5163
- Civic Action Community Services
- Note: The four agencies below require that all households applying for services complete a pre-application. Visit https://virtualroma.mdhs.ms.gov to fill out the application online.
- Jackson County Civic Action - 228-471-1230
- George County Civic Action - 601-947-7426
- PRVO for Greene County - 601-964-8231
- Gulf Coast Community for Greene County - 601-394-2942