Beginning January 2013, members can check the box in the top right of the billing statement, round up your Singing River Electric bill amount and help a neighbor through Neighbors Helping Neighbors Energy Assistance. Future billing statement totals would also round to the nearest whole dollar. The rounded up portion would be anywhere from one penny added to that month's bill or as much as ninety-nine cents. Annual donations will average about $6. All donations will be given to the local United Way to be distributed one time per year to eligible SRE members who cannot pay their electric bill.
To sign up for assistance from SRE's NHN program, contact Catholic Social and Community Services, a United Way for Jackson and George Counties agency, at 1-855-847-0555.
Singing River Electric members may also be eligible for financial assistance from local agencies including:
- United Way for Jackson and George Counties – 228-762-7662, www.unitedwayjgc.org
- Statewide information and referral number to receive assistance on any health or human service need – 211
- Salvation Army (Jackson County residents only) – 228-762-7222
- Samaritan Ministry - 228-875-9791
- Christian Services - 601-582-5683
- Neighborhood Services in Wayne County - 601-753-5163
- Civic Action Community Services
- Note: The four agencies below require that all households applying for services complete a pre-application. Visit https://virtualroma.mdhs.ms.gov to fill out the application online.
- Jackson County Civic Action - 228-471-1230
- George County Civic Action - 601-947-7426
- PRVO for Greene County - 601-964-8231
- Gulf Coast Community for Greene County - 601-394-2942